Sunday, April 12, 2015

KRONPLATZ, ITALY

Friday, January 9th

Two weekends in a row, Nick and I visited Kronplatz, Italy. The first weekend we traveled there on our own to stay on top of the mountain in a ski-in/ski-out apartment. It was amazing!!


This was our view from the top of the mountain! We were practically by ourselves! Amazing! 
We brought up enough food for 3 dinners. 

Saturday, January 10th

We hit the slopes early! We had some delicious coffee with a new friend of ours, Eugene, that manages one of the restaurants on top of the mountain. He reminded us of Nick's Grampy. He LOVES the ladies.


We were a little too excited to be the first ones to hit the slopes. It had actually snowed the night before, so we were thinking there would be fresh powder. We were shocked to see that the wind had blown off all the fresh powder. We were left with ice. I landed very hard on my back/head on the first run down. I decided right then and there that I was not a fan of ice. 

I decided to take it easy the rest of the day. Nick got a chance to go down the really steep slopes. :) It was a win - win. :)



I decided to do a little bit of hiking to at least get some exercise in. I had some pretty amazing views to enjoy while I was at it!

We loved getting to walk back to our apartment and cook a little dinner and watch TV. It was such a fun experience being on top of the mountain!

Sunday, January 11th

We woke up the next morning to these views...


We had another yummy breakfast with Eugene, and instead of skiing, we went down the hill to a spa. It was huge! There were about 30 different types of dry and wet saunas. There were 3 pools with a  slide. We had a nice relaxing morning before heading back to Sacile! It was wonderful!


Saturday, January 17th  - Monday, January 19th

The next weekend we drove up with our friends, the Slottens, to join our squadron at Kronplatz. There was a TON of snow! Finally!

Nick was worried that we would get up there late. He gets really stressed when it comes to being the first one on the mountain. We arrived at 9:30am. No one from our squadron had left to hit the slopes yet. Ha! 

I took another lesson just to help myself feel more comfortable about snowboarding. After the previous weekend, I was ready to give it up completely. 

During my lesson, I lost my passport. My instructor and I searched all over the slopes retracing our steps. After about 30 minutes of searching, and getting some of our squadron members to help us, I finally found it. It was in the office for the snowboarding classes. I had dropped it while I was sitting, waiting for my snowboard instructor. Phew! I don't normally take my passport with me, but we had checked into the hotel right as we were leaving to catch a bus. They handed me my passport on my way out the door. Lesson learned! Never take your passport with you on the slopes and ALWAYS remember to zip all of your pockets.

Each night we were at Kronplatz, they had a themed dinner. The first night was an 80s themed dinner where we celebrated Stephanie's birthday. The second night we had a German themed dinner where we dressed up in our dirndl and litterhosen. The food at our hotel was delicious! 

The only complaint we had was that the single men/women, and the few couples without kids were rooming right above the childcare center. At all times of the day, there were children screaming/crying. There was no door to prevent the sound from coming up the stairwells which meant not one of us took a nap/relaxed while we were there. Our time to relax was on the slopes!

Booze getting stuck in the snow with Nick

Doesn't Nick look pretty?!

Our last morning in Kronplatz, we decided to hike up the mountains we had snowboarded down. It was no easy feat. It was about here that my calves were screaming, and I was crying. Haha!

We were lucky to get to take some photos of Leena and Mikey for their baby announcement.

I was finally getting into at this point in the hike. It might have been because we were almost finished. :)

We made it!!!

We had a great time in Kronplatz! I can't wait to go back!


No comments:

Post a Comment