Friday, July 10, 2015

BALTIC CRUISE: TALLINN, ESTONIA

Tuesday, May 26th

I'm just going to throw this out there...Estonia, was my favorite city we visited. It was my favorite city for several reasons. First, we didn't have to worry about transportation from the boat. We literally walked right into town. Second, I didn't have to be tour guide because Nick did it! I got to focus on taking photos! Amazing! Third, it was like walking into a fairytale. Everything was so cute and quaint. There were countless artsy stores in the Old Town. I was in love! And the weather was just right! 

Nick and I were literally THE first two guests off the boat that morning. We were greeted by this hot air balloon off the port. We chose not to partake in the experience because we'd get a great view of the city later from a cafe.

Nick led the way straight to Old Town. I had not read anything about Estonia before visiting. I wanted to be pleasantly surprised. We stopped in front of St. Olav's church first, but it was still too early to be open. I couldn't help but think of the movie, "Frozen."

We walked up the cobblestone street, past pastel painted houses where I found my favorite door in Tallinn. 

Next we walked up to the Orthodox Cathedral high up on a hill. It was beautiful inside. I wish I could have taken a photo. 


Nick took us up to a great view overlooking the city. I was so impressed with his guiding skills. He knew that I'd want some great city views and he had hunted them down when he was there a few months earlier. 


My cute tour guide for the day. :)

Holy Ghost Church
Right across from this church is the "Hell" bar. :) Clever.


Would you believe that Nick INSISTED on taking a selfie in front of a bar that he frequented when he was here?  I was standing there ready to take his photo, but he CHOSE to take a selfie. He actually fought to have a selfie. I will never understand this. But I love teasing him about it.

City Hall



Nick walked us down a street with old tombstones along it.

The same street had cute stores full of handblown glass, hand carved wood, pottery, and so many more cute artsy stores. 

Just beyond that was the "sweater" wall. Little, old ladies knit sweaters and sell them along this wall year round. I can't imagine they sell a lot during the summer. 
At the end of each street were road blocks in the shape of birds. I kept seeing kids playing on them, so I decided to take a photo with them. The second I stood up, about 3 kids jumped on it. Haha!

The main street leading to the city center. 

Nick made reservations at the number one restaurant in Tallinn, Rastakaevu 16. It looked like a perfect place for hipsters to hang out. 
Each table came with a different toy animal. We had a red-eyed polar bear. It looked like a toy from a train set I had growing up.

The food was delicious! 
I couldn't help wonder when we'd be back to Estonia again so I could come eat at this restaurant. :)

Last, Nick led us to the Radisson Blu hotel outside the city walls to get a sweeping view of the city.


We both had delicious cappuccinos while we enjoyed some free wifi from the cafe. I'm still in shock that the cruise wanted to charge us $200 per person for a week of internet. Oy!

Last, Nick walked me over to another fun restaurant he had frequented in Tallinn, Manna la Roosa. It We didn't eat there, but a friendly local took our picture for us outside. Haha!

We walked back to the boat, as we saw some ominous clouds rolling in over the city.



We had passed this sign when we first walked into Tallinn. I told Nick that I wanted to take a picture with it. I think he was hoping I'd forget by the time we returned to it. ...but I didn't! I love taking pictures with signs of the town I'm visiting! (Random, I know!) 

We loved Tallinn! I loved seeing Nick's stomping grounds. It was so charming, the people all spoke English, and were very friendly and helpful. I could spend a lot more time here. 

Next stop...St. Petersburg, Russia!

No comments:

Post a Comment