Saturday, May 17, 2014

DOUG & CLAUDIE

Friday, April 25th - Italian Liberation Day!

If there's any day you should probably avoid Venice, it's Italian Liberation Day which also happened to coincide with Labor Day this year. There were more Italians in Venice than I've ever seen! On the train ride down to see Doug and Claudie, I was lucky to get a seat. Most people stood for the full hour ride. Also, trains don't run on a regular schedule on holidays. I waited at the train station for over an hour for my train. On a normal operating day, I could have hopped on 3 different trains to head to Venice in the hour that I waited. 
When I arrived in Venice I went straight to the front of a very long line for the vaperetto to buy my ticket. (When in Rome...or Venice.) :) After buying the ticket and jumped on the vaperetto. I felt like a true Italian - cutting got the front of lines and moving at a fast pace through crowds. 



There had been a gondola regatta that morning in Venice. I had just missed it, unfortunately. I did get to see a few of the gondolas with their 4 gondoliers dressed in matching shirts and bandanas. 
I met up with Doug and Claudie at the Accademie vaparetto stop. After being introduced to their friend Jean-Paul, we headed straight over to the Peggy Guggenheim museum.

I can hardly miss an opportunity to take photos in Venice no matter how many times I've visited. 

Haha! I snapped this pic of a cook in action. If looks could kill... "Allorah!"

The museum was packed that day. It was hard to get close enough to the art to enjoy it. No one seemed to be standing near this one. :)


We sat in the little cafe and enjoyed a meal and each other's company for an hour. Afterward, I headed back up to Sacile as quickly as possible. Thank goodness for AC on the train. It was our first warm day of the year!

Saturday, April 26th

We met Doug and Claudie at the train station the next morning. They were staying with us for the weekend. We've been in Italy at the same time on several occasions, but never had the chance to have them stay with us until now. 
First we took them to Cellini's - a little restaurant on the river. Doug said he had some of the best pizza he'd ever tasted.

We took them to some of our favorite local spots. I think we've taken every guest we've had to this little spring in Gorgazzo.

Afterward, we drove up the mountain to Piancavallo, and down the backside to Barcis. There was still snow on the road! Claudie couldn't believe her eyes! 
We grabbed a quick coffee at a cafe to soak up this view.


That night we took them to our favorite restaurant - Le Masiere.
 I think they were both surprised by the size of the town we live in and the location. We really live in a little slice of heaven.

Sunday, April 27th

The next morning I took them to my favorite cafe in town. Claudie asked for a plain croissant. When she received the croissant, she asked for some butter. They didn't have any butter, so she asked for some jam. They informed her that they have brioche with jam inside already, but didn't have jam to put in your croissant. Haha! Note to self: Italians don't do butter or jam....or any sort of continental breakfast. Also, I miss bacon.

Next we drove an hour out to see the Basilica of Aquileia. It dates back to 313AD.


The floors of the church are completely covered in mosaics. We were able to view them all from a plexiglass walkway inside. 



That afternoon Doug got to get a tour of base with Nick, while Claudie and headed back home. We were hit with the biggest thunderstorm we've seen since living in Italy. It shook the house. At one point we were using the microwave, and a bolt struck nearby. The microwave sent out a flash of light. I might have screamed. :) Luckily, it still works.


We had a short but sweet visit with them! Hopefully we'll get to see more of them later in the year! Ciao! Ciao! 


No comments:

Post a Comment