Tuesday, July 9, 2013

CROATIA

Friday, July 5th, we headed to Croatia for the first time and with 14 friends. One of them was celebrating his 30th birthday, so we had to go big for the occasion. After a 2 hour drive with a quick stop for dinner, we arrived to the little hill top town of Buzet, Croatia on the Istrian peninsula. The house had an indoor pool, sauna, and slept 12. (3 single guys stayed at a nearby apt) It really couldn't have been more perfect!

This was the stone entrance and exit to the town of Buzet.

Here's our cute little Mini Countryman, "Vader," stuffed with four people, luggage, and a paddleboard on top.

 This was our place for the weekend. It's not much from the outside, but it was beautiful on the inside ...and more importantly it had AC!




This was the indoor pool area where a friend caught a baby owl on his birthday. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture to prove it.

I took a quick walk around the town the next morning. This was the church in the town center. Our place was just around the corner from here.



The towns folk started opening their shutters around 8am. They'd open them, and then stare down at me with curiosity.



Croatia had some of the steepest marble and stone roads I've ever seen. They were also VERY slippery. I eventually had to walk barefooted to avoid slipping.



I loved the little gardens around the town. 

The more I see clotheslines, the more I am grateful to have a dryer. Although, running a dryer during the summer is deathly in an apartment with little AC.





We were high above the valley below. I'm sure that was useful centuries ago when towns and villages were trying to avoid being attacked. Now we just get to enjoy the view. :)

I got my first spray tan. Don't judge:)

Saturday, July 6th we headed to the island of Krk. We had to take a few photos from the road looking back at our cute little town of Buzet.

Our friends Sarah and Brad.


After a 2 hour drive to the island (due to traffic) we arrived at our wakeboarding cable park where we spent most of the day. Most of our group got out on the water at some point. Many had never wakeboarded before and did a great job! I got up on my first try, but I had a few face plants in the water. I think I can safely say that I prefer wakeboarding behind a boat, rather than at a cable park.

 After almost everyone had gone wakeboarding we walked down the beach for some guys to go kiteboarding, and the girls could "relax" on a ...very rocky, sandy, grassy, buggy area. Ok, it wasn't ideal, but we all got to be together. :)



 For dinner, we headed across the island to the town of Vrbnik. 

I loved this little town from the moment we stepped into it. As we walked through the tiny alleys, we could hear locals in their houses playing music, talking, and making dinner. I felt welcome in this close-nit community.

I laughed watching Nick push our friends sleeping baby in a stroller on the rocky, uneven pavement. :)




Our cute friend Heather.

As we were walking through the town we came to these stairs that had an amazing view of the ocean. We all stopped to take the scenery in. I did not pose anyone in this shot. They stood there and I ran to get a picture.


It is so hard to get a good pic of everyone in a group photo. This one was the best I thought. :) We grabbed dinner at a beautiful restaurant around the corner and headed back. 


Sunday, July 7th was the last morning we were there. Sarah, Brad, Nick and I headed to Rovinj, Croatia. It was slightly out of the way, but it was definitely worth the detour.


"Rule!" (It's a pilot thing)




Nick before coffee.:(

Nick during/after coffee. :) This was a perfect little coffee spot for people watching, and the view of Rovinj. :)










 At the end of our 2 hours in Rovinj, we ran into our friend Heather at a coffee shop! 
It was a quick trip, but I definitely want to go back. Croatia is one of my favorite countries I've visited since being in Europe. It's a must-see!!

When we returned home, Sarah and I immediately headed over to a baby shower for our friend Corrie. The theme was hot air balloons for her baby boy due in August. 
Liz did a fabulous job decorating her apt. :)

My contribution was flowers. :)


If you look closely you can see the adorable cake :)

We had an unbelievable weekend with friends. I would highly recommend visiting Croatia!  I am so grateful to be here and to have this opportunity in the AF!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment