Monday, March 11, 2013

CARNIVALE

In the States they call it Mardi Gras. In Italy they call it Carnivale! Carnivale is a much more kid-friendly experience than Mardi Gras. Kids and adults dress up like it's Halloween. Men dress up like women, and women dress as men. You can wear any and every costume you want! People dress up in extravagant costumes just to have their pictures taken!
My friends Emily Kellum, Liz and Tom Dowd and I all headed down on a packed train from Sacile in February to join the masses. It was standing room only!We hopped off the train and headed to the gift shop in the train station to find our masks. They surprisingly had very reasonable prices on their mask and a great selection. Emily and I bought ours and we were off into Venice!
We wound our way through the tiny streets packed with people to make it to St. Marcos Square. We weren't there on the main day, but there were still hoards of people. I tried to take pictures of as many extravagant and hilarious costumes as I could find.
Enjoy!

 Emily and I on Ponte Scalzi right after buying our masks




Just a few of the thousands of masks in Venice










Liz and Tom. Tom's wearing a lovely shade of pink:)

No where else in the world would you see this... :)



We found a place that sells anything and everything with cats!






Tom found a replacement for his pink mask. :) This one's pretty sweet!




I'm not sure if this man was actually taking photos, but he was standing on the middle of the Rialto Bridge.






 We finally made it to St. Marcos square!













We ran into Whit and Eileen Collins. He brought a juice pack with him. Haha!


The Bridge of Sighs.

There were just "a few" other people there. :)


 We escaped the hoards of people by jumping on a vaperetto to head back toward the train station.





We got off the vaparreto and grabbed a quick gelato. I had spicy chocolate gelato. I've never had it before, but it was delicious! We then ran to the train station, and barely made it on the train before it headed back toward Sacile. It was standing room only again! We awkwardly tried finishing our gelato while pressed up against dozens of people. 
Carnivale was a great experience! If you've never done it before, I would recommend it....but I don't think I'll be doing it again. :)


The next day there was a parade right through our town of Sacile. I got to enjoy it from the comfort of our home! Nick was off snowboarding, so I invited anyone and everyone from our squadron to join me. About 10 people showed up to watch the parade from above. I was pretty impressed with the floats and the amount of people that showed up for this parade!




Notice how clean the streets are before the parade started...



First float...Mario Brothers!




\
Sarah Z. leaning out the window to take some pics. She had her face painted in Venice:)


Next float...Romans! Duh!

And their entire Colosseum! 


The guys in the Colosseum were happy to see ladies leaning out of the windows taking pictures of them. :)



Next was Bob Marley. Yes, Bob Marley! It was loaded with a smoke machine to make it look like he was smoking pot. Haha! I still do not understand that float!


I'm still not sure what this float was supposed to be...a wizard? 


 

These guys were stuffing confetti into their potato canons and trying to shoot the confetti into our apartment window...It actually worked, and got confetti everywhere!! It was amazing to me how many people were throwing confetti. They would throw it on anyone and everyone, and they weren't gentle about it. If you weren't paying attention you would easily get a mouth full of confetti!




Creepy clown!





The man in the polar bear costume was running around trying to scare kids. A little creepy!
The parade was a ton of fun and so much better than I expected! And next year, I might have to keep our windows closed. :)


1 comment:

  1. I love the float of the Colosseum...so random! Looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete